Prairie Hollow Farm came into being in 1986 on a beautiful farm near Dover, MN that had belonged to Pam's maternal grandparents since 1946. Hermann, her grandfather, had instituted many conservation practices that restored natural prairie in the valley and on the slopes. Fields were transformed into contour strips for cropland, and a strict rotation that included many strips of hay.
After 1986, the farm was converted to organic dairy production, but a large garden was also maintained to feed the family. In 1998, the garden was expanded and the first CSA shares were sold. In 2000, a cheese plant was built to add value to the organic milk.
In 2005, the entire operation was moved to Pam's parent's farm near Elgin, and the process of converting the land to organic, grass-based dairy production was begun. In 2008, Isaiah re-established the vegetable production and added a season extending greenhouse. In 2010, we added another greenhouse.
The farm is operated by Pam Benike and her sons, Isaiah and Jonathan, and her daughter, Bethany.